RE: How to run X Session from RH8 via ssh -X? How to run vnc via ssh?

On 17 March 2006 16:19, Brett Serkez wrote:

> <snip>
>> However, I cannot seem to start an X session from my "ssh  -X -p 892
>> Administrator@209.22.31.134" session.
> <snip>
>
> I have previously reported this behavior, and not seen a fix, it used to
> work.
>
> The problem is running xauth under the covers hangs.
>
> If you add -v -v -v to your line above, you'll see it hang like:
>
> debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f
> /tmp/ssh-c96kVgf686/xauthfile generate 127.0.0.1:0.0
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 untrusted timeout 1200 2>/dev/null
>
> If you remove the X forwarding switch (i.e., not use -X) you should be
> able to login.
>
> If you kill the X server and/or kill the hung xauth process, an
> 'empty' ssh Window (non-X) will appear, indicating to me that for some
> reason, xauth is looking for input from the console vs. stdin.

  What makes you think so?  Maybe it's trying to generate some standard
output, since that line only redirects stderr.  Maybe it's the server not
sending a reply, and it's not hung, nor waiting for input, just waiting for
the timeout to occur - 1200 seconds is twenty minutes, are you sure you waited
that long?

    cheers,
      DaveK