Problems mounting root filesystem off of NFS

Hi,

I'm trying to get Linux running on a PPC board to mount an NFS root
filesystem off of a Windows XP machine -- in this case the NFS filesystem is
exported by the NFS server in Cygwin.  While it mounts OK, Linux fails to
come up due to various errors, e.g.

mount: only root can do that
awk: cmd. line:2: fatal: cannot open file `/proc/mounts' for reading (No
such fi le or directory)
                Welcome to Wind River Linux
                Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
mount: only root can do that
Configuring kernel parameters:  [  OK  ] Cannot access the Hardware Clock
via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
method.
Setting clock : Thu Jan  1 00:00:19 GMT 1970 [  OK  ] Setting hostname
unknown:  [  OK  ]
cat: /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory Your system appears to have
shut down uncleanly Press Y within 1 seconds to force file system integrity
check...
awk: cmd. line:2: fatal: cannot open file `/proc/mounts' for reading (No
such fi le or directory) Checking root filesystem
awk: cmd. line:2: fatal: cannot open file `/proc/mounts' for reading (No
such fi le or directory)
fsck: fsck.nfs: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.nfs for none [  OK  ]
fgrep: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory
awk: cmd. line:2: fatal: cannot open file `/proc/mounts' for reading (No
such fi le or directory) Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:
mount: only root can do that [FAILED] Activating swap partitions:  [  OK  ]
mount: only root can do that
mount: only root can do that
mount: only root can do that
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 456: /etc/rc.modules: Permission denied Checking
filesystems Checking all file systems.
[  OK  ]
Mounting local filesystems:  mount: only root can do that [FAILED]

If I chmod 777 the entire root filesystem from within Cygwin, it gets
further (to the prompt) but then it won't let me login with root.  I know it
probably has to do with the fact that all the files in the root filesystem
have my windows login name as the user instead of root.

Has anybody successfully booted Linux off of a cygwin NFS exported root
filesystem?

Thanks!