Re: Correct device name for printing a PDF from Ghostview

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:21:52PM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Keith Christian wrote:
>
> > Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > > 'lpr -P "hp officejet 6100 series"' (yes, with the double quotes)
> > > should work.
> >
> > Thanks - almost there - The Officejet printer printed raw Postscript
> > commands instead of the document.  For example, the first line of
> > the printout was:
> >
> > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> > %%Pages: (atend)
> > %%BoundingBox: 1 49 594 747
> > ...etc...etc..etc..etc...
> >
> > Other suggestions appreciated.
>
> Ah, right.  lpr just sends the raw output to the printer -- you need
> to add a filter of some sort.  Unfortunately, I can't think of the
> exact way right now -- I just know it's possible.  Perhaps someone
> else will chime in with a solution.

Well, the first step might be to rename the printer to something more
sane and use the "Comment" field for descriptive text?  ;-)

I think you're asking about the device names displayed in 'gs -h'.  I've
only glanced at the documentation for gs, but IIRC gv does allow you to
define a print command.  In that regard, a variation on any of the
following should work for you:

# Printing PDFs (note the recurring postscript theme)
export PRINTER=hp4050tn ; a2ps myfile.pdf
acroread -toPostscript myfile.pdf | lpr -d hp4050tn
xpdf myfile.pdf -ps | lpr
pdf2ps myfile.pdf && cat myfile.ps | lpr

Personally, I print directly from Acrobat after generating the PDF and
examing the final output.

But while you're testing things out ...

# Bash alias to manage (graphically) installed printers
rundll32 SHELL32.DLL,SHHelpShortcuts_RunDLL PrintersFolder

# Bash alias to manage (graphically) the printer queue
rundll32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /o /n\hp4050tn &

# See also
lpq [...]

Regards.

--