RE: glut, OpenGL, undefined reference to glutCheckLoop()

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 16 February 2006 22:10, Dean C. Tsai wrote:
> > I went to Fletcher's site and found some files  (glut32.dll, glut32.lib, and
> > glut.h) but frankly I have no clues if I can use them, or I should put them
> > if I can use those files. I remember reading that applications must be
> > re-compiled in Cygwin, does that mean that those files are useless for me?
> > Can someone please shine some lights on me?
>
>   If they're win32 versions, they won't be any use with cygwin, but if
> they're cygwin versions, they will be.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here, Dave.  IIRC, Cygwin's glut32.dll is a
win32 version built with Microsoft tools.  Oh yes..., from
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/opengl-1.1.0-7.README:

  To build GLUT:
    In /usr/src/opengl-1.1.0-7/glut-3.7.6 , open glut.dsw with Visual C++
    and build the glut32 project.

I know no reason why those libraries shouldn't work.  Link with their
glut32.lib (or, rename it to libglut32.a if you want to be more Cygwin
like), and arrange for their glut32.dll to be found before Cygwin's in
your PATH at run time.

But, if you do this, please do not expect this mailing list to
support any further problems.  We do not support things not distributed
in the Cygwin release.

>   That's a general principle.

Again I disagree, Dave.  The general principle is that win32 libraries can
be used in Cygwin as long as they are not C++, and you don't mix things
like msvcrt stdio with newlib's.

Maybe you are confusing trying to do this under X11?  Or, your just being
a Cygwin purist ;-).

--
Brian Ford
Lead Realtime Software Engineer