Re: regular user, bash cannot find /tmp

Claude Marinier wrote:
Hi,

I installed cygwin on MS Windows XP from files I downloaded earlier this week (13 or 14 Feb 2006). Picked the default option to make cygwin available for all users. I installed from the Administrator account.

Usually, the first time I start cygwin, it recommends running mkpasswd and mkgroup. This time it did not so I performed those two steps by hand (with the local option since the PC is not part of a domain).

Everything works fine from the Administrator account: regular cygwin bash command window and startx. From a regular account (with Power User), bash startup fails with the following error message (or something similar, doing this from memory).

bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

Made sure /tmp exists and is accessible: it is. Made sure the user's home directory exists and is accessible: it is.

From the failed bash, few things run: 'pwd' is OK but bash cannot find 'ls'. The PATH variable does not contain any cygwin paths.

It looks like the port-installation failed or initialisation failed. Note that I installed a subset of the packages I normally install. There were no dependency warnings.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

Sounds like a failed installation, or broken mountpoints.

Please follow the directions on:
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
particularly the segment about *attaching the output of cygcheck -svr as cygcheck.out

Without this information, all you'll get is WAGs.

Chris
--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world