Re: LD_PRELOAD regression on 1.5.19-4 ? no more loaded library in child process

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:31:29PM +0100, Louis Lecaroz wrote:
> from cmd.exe
> ->Start bash
> -->All environment variables from cmd.exe were propaged in bash environment+.profiles one.
> -->Start "vi sample.txt" from this bash instance
> ---->A new instance of bash is loaded with also all environment variables.
> ----->A VIM.exe instance is loaded but only with PATH, SYSTEMDRIVE, SYSTEMROOT, WINDIR !!!!!!!!!

I can't help you, but I can see that there's a lot of information missing
here.

What did you actually *do* to get from one step to the next in the
above?  Where does your MSVC-linked DLL come into it?  What loads that
DLL?  What is your system like (the information requested in
http://cygwin.com/problems.html)?

> I tried also to verify with the win32 system routine called
> GetEnvironmentStrings(), but it is exactly the same data retrieved
> with getenv() !  So it (I feel) seems that this new version of
> cygwin did not propaged all environment variable to all child
> process !  Don't know why :( but I Just tested it on the 1.5.18
> patched with the snapshot mentioned below, just reinstall the
> 1.5.19-4 over it (after having removed the previous), & my
> conclusion (but I am not the Cygwin Expert ;) ), is that LD_PRELOAD
> since 1.5.19-4 & previuous does have the same behavior as
> environment variable appears to be correctly propagated in 1.5.18-x
> & not in 1.5.19-4.

I saw (but did not verify) one report that 1.5.19 doesn't keep the
windows copy of the environment in some situations where 1.5.18 did,
so manually using CreateProcess or the like may work differently.
AFAICT, this falls in the category of "implementation detail" that you
shouldn't be counting on.