Re: readline-5.1 && CGDB

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 03:36:19PM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Bob Rossi on 1/27/2006 3:08 PM:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I finally managed to compile CGDB with readline-5.1 statically. I
> > compiled against a version of readline that has multibyte turned on, and
> > a version with it turned off.
> >
> > In both cases I have the same results. CGDB is displayed awkardly in the
> > curses window. I have finally discovered that this appears to be a
> > LINES/COLS bug. If I connect via putty into the windows machine, and set
> > the putty window to be 25/80 LINES/COLUMNS, then all works. Otherwise,
> > the terminal is the wrong size.
> >

> Can you provide any more details?  How about a simple, reproducible test
> case?  Otherwise, you are pretty much debugging this on your own.

I'll work on a simple test case. However, it may take a while. I've
spent countless hours trying to determine what the problem could be.

I know that if I set the LINES and COLUMNS environment variables, then
the display works fine. If I don't set them, then the display must be
25x80 for CGDB to look correct. For some reason, after the call to
initscr, the LINES and COLS is set to 25 and 80 respectivly.

On Linux, something totally different happens. When I initialize
readline, it eventually calls tgetent, which happens to set LINES and
COLS to the correct size of the terminal. On cygwin this doesn't happen.
The call readline makes to tgetent leaves LINES and COLS alone. Then,
in Cygwin when I get to initscr, LINES and COLS is set to 25x80, unless
I set the LINES and COLUMNS environment variables before the call to
initscr.

Finally, if I make a small program on Cygwin, and simply call initscr,
it somehow get's the size of the terminal correct. I have no idea why
CGDB is different.

I have 2 choices at this point. Start debugging the ncurses library or
simply keep making CGDB smaller and smaller until I track down the
problem. I wonder which is best.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi