RE: setup crashes trying to install xorg-x11-fnts: Solved

I had a setup.ini from ftp://ftp.kr.freebsd.org/pub/cygwin dated 15 Oct 2004 which for some
reason has a bogus size and md5 for xorg-x11-fenc-6.8.1.0-2.tar.bz2 and xorg-x11-fnts-
6.8.1.0-3.tar.bz2.  At that time I didn't attempt to install any X11.

I have recently been using ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin, and
attempted to download X11 from there and install it.  This fails with size-check-failure-
causes-uncaught-exception.

I downloaded setup-2.523.tar.bz2 - I couldn't find a source tarball for 2.510.2.2 - don't you
issue source for the current stable version, or was it removed when you put up the
subsequent experimental versions?

I attempted to build it, which failed because tree-{plus,minus}.bmp were missing.  I
cannibalised suitable bitmaps from elsewhere - perhaps you would like to add them to the
source tarball.

Presumably setup.exe makes the reasonable assumption that all versions of setup.ini it can
find will have the same size and md5 for the same version of the same file.  So it attempts to
match the characteristics of the file with the first corresponding setup.ini it finds, which in
this case unfortunately failed, even though the setup.ini from the mirror I was actually using
matched.

Some of this is reading between the lines, but renaming the setup.ini from ftp.kr.freebsd.org
fixed the problem.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is.  I guess it's a sufficiently rare problem that we
don't want to complicate setup.exe to diagnose it.  But perhaps a separate program or shell
script would be useful.
--
Iain Alexander      ia@stryx.demon.co.uk