Re: Cygwin SSHD Password different from Windows Password - Possible?

Cygwin creates a UNIX like password file /etc/passwd that links 'UNIX'
users back to Windows users, sshd uses this file to work back to Windows
security information.  Ultimately it has to be this way, as it is
Windows that is hosting security, so Cygwin needs to be able to map
accordingly.  You can 'cat /etc/passwd' to see the entries.

If you create a new Windows user and never login to Windows with that
id, the user profile will never be created.  Beyond this, I suppose you
could hand edit /etc/password and point the administrator entry to such
an account.  This may be close enough for your purposes, you would be
able to login as administrator locally without a password, need a
password for administrator remotely, but they would be different
accounts as far as Windows was concerned.  This may not be a bad thing
as you could use the two similar but different accounts to customize
security and auditing.

Brett