Re: NIS anyone?

I've used svn (subversion) to administer Cygwin installations on many
machines (particularly ones I do not have physical access to...) to an
effect that may be an acceptable compromise to you.

For my machines, each Cygwin installation is a working copy checkout
owned by SYSTEM, and I have an hourly SYSTEM cron job that runs "svn
update /" and a few installation-specific maintenance scripts.  This
allows me to maintain system configurations (including /etc/passwd)
through "svn merge" operations performed from an administrative
working copy (many, many cool subversion tricks can be used here).  To
maintain sanity, I store only configuration data and site-specific
binaries in the repository--I use the term "overlay" to describe the
set of files a repository stores for a given installation.

In my organization, I give each machine a different branch of the
repository (this allows me to tweak them individually), but it would
be trivial to make a group of identical machines share the same
branch.

I've even set up an internal Cygwin mirror that presents this system
as a Cygwin package, called "submerge."  To install on a new
workstation, I install the package (which includes all of the other
Cygwin packages that I may need), and run "submerge
stations/station-name" as an administrator, which (insert black magic
here) downloads the relevant overlay, applies the overlay to /, and
then invokes overlay-specific post-installation scripts.

I can give more pointers on this system if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Jason