Re: Found case with "Download incomplete / try again"

On 12/22/2005, Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
If setup.exe is not supported for other projects, maybe they should not even try using Cygwin setup, but who am I to tell how things are done here... I will resend my complain to cygwin-apps mailing list.

You're, of course, assuming that the problem is a bug in "setup.exe". If it is, then it will be fixed in due course. If, however, it is not, then fixing this case in "setup.exe" is very likely to be unproductive. So if you can show that the problem is on one side or the other, that will help direct you to the proper site to report the problem and also help those you report the problem to.

FWIW, my experience suggests that those who package their Cygwin software in
a "setup.exe" friendly way do so to encourage people to try their software.
It is also often as a prelude to the package's inclusion into the official
distribution.  The latter spurs a packaging review by other maintainers to
make sure that things are OK there.  So you may experience some problems with
"outside" packages via "setup.exe" that you would not see if the package were
already accepted into the distribution.  YMMV.

Holliston, MA 01746