Re: mkpasswd group

--On 22 December 2005 07:31 -0800 Mike Blanco wrote:

I have run the commands as specified but each time I
open the console window again I get the same message.
I have researched this mailing list as well as google
and found similiar listings but was unable to find
resolutions to this issue.

Here is something that should be equivalent to what eventually worked for me running cygwin on XP Pro in an environment where the domain structure is non-trivial and the domains are large.

mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkpasswd -u "$USERNAME" -d "$USERDOMAIN" >> /etc/passwd

The 'mkgroup' creates a group file containing local groups and some groups from some domain that seems to be appropriate in this context.

The first 'mkpasswd' creates a passwd file containing local accounts.

The second 'mkpasswd' creates an entry for my domain account and appends it to the passwd file. At least in my case, the group id generated in this step matches the right group entry generated by the call of 'mkgroup'.

In my case, using 'mkpasswd -d "$USERDOMAIN"' would have generated tens of thousands of entries and taken rather a long time so the use of -u was rather important. I also had to specify the domain explicitly, the one that is used if I just use -d is not the domain that contains my account.

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK