Re: CygWin + gcc to build Windows application written in C.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:45:40AM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:

Piero Silvestri wrote:

Thanks Brian, now -mwindows is clear to me, and the strange linker
problem has gone, but I have one more question on -mno-cygwin option.
When I installed the latest release of Cygwin I found gcc 3.4.4 in its
packages, which I installed as well; and if I use it with the
-mno-cygwin option when compiling everything's allright.

But then I downloaded the gcc 4.0.2 sources, which I compiled in Cygwin
with the old gcc provided, so now I have a second version of gcc
currently working.  The problem is that this version has some problem
with the -mno-cygwin option; if I use it when compiling I get the error
message: "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or
directory".  Do you think that this is a CygWin's configuration problem
or a gcc one?

-mno-cygwin is supported by "cygwin-special" patches to standard gcc. This is among the obstacles to keeping cygwin up to date with respect to gcc. mingw appears more difficult to support anyway, judging by the results (rarely) posted to gcc-testsuites.

AFAIK, there are no "cygwin-special" patches related to -mno-cygwin in
the cygwin distribution version of gcc.  I spent some time on getting
this more-or-less working a few years ago and I checked in everything
I had.

If there are patches, then Gerrit should submit them and we'll work
towards getting them approved.

I use the same source as are used for the MinGW version Danny provides. If he has some patches applied locally then I include these during the build. Danny is still maintaining some changes which are not included in the main repository, some of them will probably never be included (i.e. fortran, ada related), some are MinGW specific. Others are simply backports not included in the released tarballs because Danny always releases some days later, after the first bugs are found ;)

In the case above, it is obviously, you'll need a MinGW version of GCC 4
to use the -mno-cygwin flag, so you need to build and install it at
first.

Gerrit -- =^..^=