Re: SSH problem after upgrade

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Ed Brady wrote:

> > Ed Brady wrote:
> >
> > > After upgrading to the latest release of cygwin, I am continually
> > > receiving the error message.
> > >
> > > socket:  Operation not permitted
> > > ssh:  connect to host port 22: Operation not permitted
> > >
> > > I have had Cygwin installed on this computer for over three years
> > > and have used ssh reguarly without any problems until this recent
> > > upgrade.
> > >
> > > Also, I can copy ssh.exe to my home directory and for some strange
> > > reason this seems to work.  I have searched all over for an answer
> > > to this problem with no avail.
> > > Any help appreciated
>
> Thinking that the firewall might be an issue, I tried disabling it, but
> with no luck.
> The one peculiar behavior I see here is that this only seems to happen
> whenever the files reside in /usr/bin.  If I make a copy of them and put
> them into my home dir the problem goes away.
> Additionally, if I make a copy of the files, and let them REMAIN in the
> /usr/bin dir, the problem still exists.

Does it help if you leave the files in /usr/bin, but explicitly specify
the path to the program (e.g., /home/Ed/telnet.exe)?

> Some additional notes:
> #1 - Copying the program to a different name under the SAME directory
> (/usr/bin)  does not cause the problem to go away, creating symlinks
> does not help either.  This means the problem is somehow related to
> something specific to the attributes of /usr/bin itself.
> #2 - Considering the three programs found (ssh, ftp, telnet), there is a
> high probability that the root cause is related to how the "socket" or
> related api cmds are being invoked or differences in how it is being
> called when the application resides in the home directory versusus
> /usr/bin.
> #3 - I have yet to find a complete list, but I am betting that this
> behavior will exist on all applications trying to open a priviledged
> port.

Sounds like a permission issue.  What does "ls -ld /usr/bin" show?
This may be a red herring, but try the following command:

chmod a+x / /bin /lib /usr /etc

If this helps, your trouble may be with traverse checking...

Also, can you post the permissions on the original files and the copies in
your home directory (both "ls -l" and "getfacl")?
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/