Re: CygWin + gcc to build Windows application written in C.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:45:40AM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:
>Piero Silvestri wrote:
>>Brain wrote:
>>>-mno-cygwin essentially turns gcc into the gcc provided by mingw.org.
>>>Read the docs/wiki/faq/etc at that site for more information.  Note
>>>that when you use gcc -mno-cygwin your search paths will be modified so
>>>that no Cygwin libraries/headers will be found, instead the mingw ones
>>>will be searched (/usr/include/mingw, /usr/lib/mingw).  Essentially
>>>this is just a shortcut for compiling with the mingw toolchain under
>>>Cygwin - do not get confused and think that this somehow lets you use
>>>Cygwin library functions in any shape or form.  If you use mingw or
>>>-mno-cygwin, you are essentially programming directly at the win32 API
>>>and the MSVCRT, you have no unix emulation at all other than what is
>>>provided by the microsoft C library.
>>
>>Thanks Brian, now -mwindows is clear to me, and the strange linker
>>problem has gone, but I have one more question on -mno-cygwin option.
>>When I installed the latest release of Cygwin I found gcc 3.4.4 in its
>>packages, which I installed as well; and if I use it with the
>>-mno-cygwin option when compiling everything's allright.
>>
>>But then I downloaded the gcc 4.0.2 sources, which I compiled in Cygwin
>>with the old gcc provided, so now I have a second version of gcc
>>currently working.  The problem is that this version has some problem
>>with the -mno-cygwin option; if I use it when compiling I get the error
>>message: "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or
>>directory".  Do you think that this is a CygWin's configuration problem
>>or a gcc one?
>>
>-mno-cygwin is supported by "cygwin-special" patches to standard gcc.
>This is among the obstacles to keeping cygwin up to date with respect
>to gcc.  mingw appears more difficult to support anyway, judging by the
>results (rarely) posted to gcc-testsuites.

AFAIK, there are no "cygwin-special" patches related to -mno-cygwin in
the cygwin distribution version of gcc.  I spent some time on getting
this more-or-less working a few years ago and I checked in everything
I had.

If there are patches, then Gerrit should submit them and we'll work
towards getting them approved.

cgf