Re: recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed errors post-11-30 snapshot

> On Dec 14 12:41, Van Sickle, Gary wrote:
> > I'm getting a "recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" error on the 12-07
and
> > 12-13 snapshots on one particular machine at work.  That's pretty
much
> > all I get - rxvt dies immediately, and while I do get a bash prompt
by
> > using cmd.exe as my... ahem... "terminal"..., I can't run any
programs
> > from it, not even cygcheck; I get the same error.  I've never
knowingly
> > rebased anything ever, on any machine.  I don't know if this will
help
> > or not, but attached is a cygcheck of the 11-30 snapshot.  If it
would
> > be helpful I can reinstall 12-07 or 12-13, and get a cygcheck from a
> > non-cygwin cmd.exe.
>
> Wow, there's a detailed bug report.  Let's start where everyone should
> start: http://cygwin.com/problems.html.
>

> Corinna

OK, lessee what I missed:

"- Use a subject line that describes the issue well

Good examples:

"1.5.8: select bug (NT and 95)" [...]"

Guess we can add "recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed errors post-11-30
snapshot" to that list.

"- When reporting problems, describe the problem rather than just
including your interpretation of the problem."

Me: "I'm getting a "recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" error on the 12-07
and 12-13 snapshots on one particular machine at work. [...] I can't run
any programs from [a cmd.exe+bash session], not even cygcheck; I get the
same error."

Looks like that's ok as well.

"- Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
attachment in your report."

Done and done.  Well, the filename is different, though I doubt that
would throw anyone.

"- Do not assume that your problem is so trivial or so "well known" that
it does not require any details or background from you."

I don't believe I made any such assumption, and gave as much background
as I had to give.  Searching the archives indictated that this may be
related to rebase (and/or rebasing might fix it), hence the extra
background of "I've never rebased anything".  Said search also lead me
to believe that "recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed" was not an unknown
error message; if that belief was in error, all apologies.

"- Try to confine your email to one problem per message."

I assume this is one problem, so we're OK there as well.

"- Reply to the email in the thread that you started [...]"

Well, I apologize that I'm breaking this one now, but it's unavoidable
seeing as I'm not subscribed to the list at work.

"- In your (detailed) description, show how to reproduce the problem."

Not really possible in this case; as indicated in the original problem
report, I've only seen it on one machine at work here so far.  I did
neglect to explicitly mention that on my home machine I've seen no such
errors, I figured that was implied by the phrase "

"- If you can't run cygcheck for some reason [...]"

N/A, since I can and did run it for the 11/30 snapshot.

"- Avoid the use of exclamation marks or multiple question marks [...]"

Used none of either.  Kind of getting in to some serious nitpicking here
though, don't you think?

"- Avoid personal details about why you need the problem rectified
[...]"

Didn't even think to say anything of the kind, so we're still ok.

"- Avoid expressions of incredulity "I can't believe that this is so
broken!" or other editorializing. [...]"

Didn't do that either.  In fact, I didn't even make a sarcastic remark
to the effect of "Wow, there's a detailed error message."  Because that
would be just silly, not to mention counterproductive.

"- Minimize reporting that your problem "works fine" on some "other"
UNIX platform or used to work ok in a previous Cygwin release. [...]"

Well, didn't do the former, kinda had to do the latter since it's a
regression from a previous snapshot.  My understanding is that TPTB are
interested in regressions.

"- Keep in mind that there are over 1500 people on the mailing list. Try
to avoid "me too" responses [...]"

Kept in mind, not a "me too" AFAIK, though googling did return a number
of hits on this same error message spread over several months [q.v. my
mentioning of rebase above].

"- Send a patch to fix the problem if you can."

Well, on this one you got me.  Mea culpa if that's what you're referring
to.

If not Corinna, please tell me what details I neglected to include via
my report and/or my attached cygcheck -srv.  Also helpful would be an
answer to my question as to if a cygcheck from a 12-7 or -13 snapshot
would be any more useful than the 11-30 one I sent.  And please hold the
sarcasm, I'm neither a mind reader nor am I in the mood to give and/or
receive any "editorializing".

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Contract EE