Re: encoding scripts (so that user can't see passwords easily)?

I view disk data encryption sort of like locking your car doors.  If they want
your car all they really need is a pickup truck and a car tow kit. If someone
really wants to get to your data they will.  The question is how badly do
they want that data?  How much effort will the expend to get it?  Lastly
if you catch them and take them to court can you prove that you did everything
resonable to try and prevent the thift?

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:27:46PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Jim Drash schrieb:
> > If someone can get physical access to the disk, then there is not a
> > single thing you can do to stop someone who is:
> >
> > 1) Knowledgeable
> > 2) Determined
> > 3) has time
> > 4) is a criminal
>
> But I could certainly stop someone who is *not* knowledgeable nor
> determined, and his "criminal cracking" gnowledge ends when he presses
> Enter after typing "grep -r password /".
>
> Why do you think mail clients, web browsers and other software don't
> store the passwords in plain?
>

> --
> Tomek
> http://wpkg.org
> WPKG - software deployment and upgrades with Samba
>

> --

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb