Re: command-line archiver that understands Windows ACLs?

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:21:54PM -0800, Mark McWiggins wrote:
>I'm working with a company that deploys tar files from Unix to Windows
>where the Windows administrators set their directories up with various
>ACLs.
>
>Cygwin's default TAR program destroys these ACLs when files are
>unpacked into these directories.
>
>Is there a command-line program that can unpack a tar file in such a
>way as to leave the ACLs alone?  WinZip can do this, but its
>command-line addon only handles ZIP files.

Unless you really need to use cygwin for other things, it sounds very
much like you are asking for a non-cygwin way to deal with tar files.

This really isn't a list for discussing non-cygwin solutions to
problems.  I see that a google search for "tar windows" unearths quite a
few options so you should be able to find some no-cygwin program which
solves your problem fairly easily.