permissions problem cygwin<-->Linux

I am backing up Windows box directories on a Linux rsync server. Backing
up is going good for now. How do I deal with permission issues?

Currently, a Windows user is not able to read files from the backups
directory in the Linux box. I am using the -a flag in rsync command. Is
there anyway (other than doing a chmod in Linux) I preserver permissions
and let Windows users read their backup file (when they want to recover
them)? Or, if I cannot preserve their permissions, can I use some other
permissions (perhaps by not using -a in rsync)?

Anyother method to deal with this issue?

Thanks,
->HS