Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (problem with inode numbers)

On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:14 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Dec 1 15:38, Peter Rehley wrote:
On Dec 1, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Dec 1 13:01, Peter Rehley wrote:
It only appears to be a problem
when I have a mac os x share mounted to a drive on windows. When I
try with a windows share or a linux share I don't seem to have the
problem.

The problem that I'm seeing is that the inode value isn't unique when
listing a directory (or using any program that uses the inode value).

Do I understand you right that this only happens for directories? The
normal file inodes are looking ok?
No, it also happens for files too.

$%^&

The output of both tests might be helpful.
Output is attached.

Well, the volume information looks exactly as usual for a remote Samba drive.

The problem is, that your Samba version apparently screws up the inode
information and we have re-enabled using the inode numbers sent from
remote file systems which are supposed to be capable of that. For this
we use the HAS_PERSISTENT_ACLS property.

What Samba version is your Mac OS X using? I'm using 3.0.20a for which
the inode information is useable. Is Samba a part of the OS packages or
did you install it from an external source? Is it a rather old one?
Can you upgrade? The problem is that there's no way for us to distinguish
between a newer and an older version of Samba. I would rather not lose
the inode information when available.

I'm using mac os x 10.4.3 which is using samba version 3.0.10. So it's not that old. However, I did find one reference that implied that mac did something funny for acl's.

I'm going to try install a non-apple version of samba and see what happens.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader cygwin AT cygwin DOT com