Re: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
H. S. wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 05:07:15PM -0500, H. S. wrote:

Hi,

I have installed Cygwin on a Windows XP computer to get rsync and
ssh running so that I can backup my important data on a Linux
computer on my home LAN. The idea is to use rsync to make rolling
backups of my Windows data automatically, say, once or twice a day
and to retain last N backups (N most probably going to be 10~20).

But the problem I had not foreseen is that I dual boot this Windows
machine between Windows XP and Debian. How should I gracefully let
the rsync server know if this computer is running Linux or XP?

I know that if the computer is running Linux, the rsync server will
never find /cygdrive/... folders and will just quite with an error.
But this is not 'clean', it will result in mails to the rsync
server root about the error.

Suggestions?
<SNIP>

Perhaps you could look for environmental variables that Windows sets but
Linux doesn't.  COMSPEC, windir, SystemDrive, SystemRoot, ProgramFiles,
CommonProgramFiles

er .. how can I do that using SSH and non-interactively?

thanks,
->HS