Re: mkpasswd, mkgroup - initial setup of group, home dir

Robert Body wrote:

> Hi, I installed on a networked computer, but i don't want my cygwin to be
> part of that network as far as username/groups go (I don't want to add all

Use -l instead of -d when running mkgroup and mkpasswd.

> I would like to change these to "Owner" and "mygroup", and I would like my

The user and group names in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files should
match those in Windows.  The purpose of those files is to mirror the
actual Windows user and group names for programs that expect to be able
to read them from those files.  You can't arbitrarily define user/group
names there, you have to do that in Windows.  You should probably stick
to only creating them with mkpasswd and mkgroup and not hand editing
them to contain other values.

Or put differently, just because you change your username in /etc/passwd
doesn't mean you've actually changed your account's user name -- and in
fact you may cause strange failures if the two aren't in sync.  If you
want a different group name, create one in Windows and add yourself to
it, and then re-run mkgroup to keep /etc/group in sync.

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.home

> I read about "mkpasswd -d" - well I don't want people on network added to my
> cygwin setup,

Then don't use -d.

Brian