Re: Folder ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.sunsite.utk.edu%2fpub%2fcygwin remains after install (FAQ alert)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Christian Franke wrote:
>
> > Somewhat offtopic and probably FAQ:
> > The local package cache fills up with outdated (no longer in setup.ini)
> > versions.
> > Is there any hidden setup.exe functionality or cleanup script available
> > to delete old package files?
>
> There's nothing in setup.exe, but I do remember that someone once posted
> a script that does this.  I don't recall the filename but google on the
> mailing list archives ought to work.

The script you're thinking of is Michael A. Chase's clean_setup.pl.
Unfortunately, Googling for it mostly turns up references to it in the
mailing list archives, and the actual site comes up only at the bottom of
the page.  It would be nice if there was a link to this script in the FAQ
somewhere.

> I prefer to maintain a local rsync repository rather than letting
> setup.exe download anything.  If you go this route you can use --delete
> to delete stuff no longer on the master site.  You can be pretty
> flexible in what you mirror, e.g. --exclude=\*-src.tar\* to skip source
> packages (though I don't do this.)

This works too.  Doesn't rsync also work asymmetrically (delete but don't
download)?  This could be used to purge obsolete copies of things from
setup's cache...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/