Re: sshd on windows 2000

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
I have one server that has a problem with sshd. And
its a strange problem that I don't know what is
causing it. Seems to be an authentication problem but
I'm not really sure about that. Also there is a
problem starting it.
When I try starting it the server times out on start.
it starts fine though if I start it with the following
command.
/usr/sbin/sshd -d -d -d (while looking for problems)

<snip>

debug2: input_userauth_request: try method publickey
debug1: test whether pkalg/pkblob are acceptable
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 500/513 (e=500/513)
seteuid 500: No such process
debug1: do_cleanup

<more snippage>

As always, if you're reporting a problem, please read and follow completely the problem reporting guidelines found at:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Without this, I can only make a WAG based on the information you've provided but it looks to me like you're starting 'sshd' from the command line. If that's so and you're not logged in as "SYSTEM", you can't seteuid(). And lo and behold that's what the debug messages tell you! ;-) Windows isn't UNIX/Linux (yes, I know this is quite a revelation) and you cannot start 'sshd' from the command line and expect to connect as anyone other than the user that started 'sshd'. If what I just stated is not obvious to you, remove your installation of the OpenSSH package, remove all remnants of it ever being on your system, and reinstall it. Read and follow the configuration instructions in '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README'. If, on the other hand, the statements I made make sense to you, then you now understand that you can only 'ssh' to this machine as the user that started 'sshd'. Anyone else will fail.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746