To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: How to run cygwin sshd as a domain user?

On Nov 8 18:28, Dave Korn wrote:
Xing Qiu wrote:

> No, I tried that, and it didn't work. As far as I understand, > cygrunsrv
> is just a wrapper to run some daemon in the background. I simply can't
> start sshd with my own user. Below are the error messages:
>
> $ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe -d
> debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_4.1p1
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
> Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
>
> Here is the result of ls -lh /etc/ssh* :
>
> $ ls -lh /etc/ssh*
> -rwx------ 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 1.3K Nov 4 15:03 /etc/ssh_config
> -rw------- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 668 Oct 30 19:37 > /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> -rw-r--r-- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 600 Oct 30 19:37
> /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
> -rw------- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 525 Oct 30 19:37 /etc/ssh_host_key
> -rw-r--r-- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 329 Oct 30 19:37 > /etc/ssh_host_key.pub
> -rw------- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 883 Oct 30 19:37 > /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> -rw-r--r-- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 220 Oct 30 19:37
> /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
> -rw-r--r-- 1 xqiu mkgroup-l-d 2.8K Nov 4 15:03 /etc/sshd_config

> Should I go ahead change the ownership of /etc/ssh* ?

  How about re-running ssh-host-config, which contains code to set the
perms/ownership correctly?

(If you insist on doing it manually, "SYSTEM" is fine for owner, but you
want "Domain Users" for the group).

No. The owner must be the same as the one running sshd. Same for /var/empty.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.