Re: Cygwin 1.5.18 and //./PhysicalDrive??

On Nov  4 10:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  3 16:56, Loh, Joe wrote:
> > Folks,
> > Since updating the Cygwin 1.5.18, we started seeing problem similar to
> > the what "dd" is experiencing.  The previous Cygwin DLL we used was
> > Cygwin 1.5.16, at that works flawlessly.  Is anyone out there
> > experiencing the same issue?
> >
> > I have reverted back to the Cygwin 1.5.16 and everything start working
> > normally again.  Due to legacy support requirement we are still using
> > the //./PhysicalDrive?? to accessing raw device in Cygwin.
> >
> > I am also attaching the "strace" output at the end of this mail for the
> > "dd" that failed.  Please advise what additional information is needed.
> >
> > See the example and result below:
> >
> > $ dd if=//./physicaldrive0 count=1 | od -x
> > dd: opening `//./physicaldrive0': No such host or network path
> > 0000000
>
> Sorry, but using //./foo was deprecated already for a long time, see
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id4676548

It just occured to me that you still can use the same pathname when
using backslashes instead of forward slashes.

  dd if=\\\\.\\physicaldrive0 count=1 | od -x

works since paths with a backslash are treated as Win32 paths and are
not subject to the POSIX normalization and path conversion.

However, not that Win32 paths like the above are not treated as devices,
but as plain files.  For instance, you'll fail to use device specific
ioctls.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.