Re: SETUP: In-use files have been replaced

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:15:14PM +0100, Chris Taylor wrote:
> Herb Martin wrote:
> >Eric Blake wrote:

> >>Have you tried simply uninstalling the Cygwin package? If you
> >>installed the new one into another location, you presumably
> >>don't need or want the other one. For most packages at least,
> >>SETUP doesn't automatically try to update it if you haven't
> >>installed it.
> >>

> >I didn't install Exim 4.54 into another location;
> >someone else mentioned an alternate locationa and
> >I (perhaps incorrectly) mentioned that I had downloaded
> >and compiled it FROM another location.
> >
> >The "make install" was run normally and the specially
> >compiled (make options) is in the default (/usr/bin)
> >location.
> >
> >All I wish to do is make Setup aware of this if it
> >is possible.
> >
> >For now, I must (carefully) ensure that setup doesn't
> >overwrite my "good" version with the default.
>
> If you reinstalled all of exim, you don't really need the cygwin
> version.. So you want to edit the /etc/setup/installed.db and give it an
> artificially high number, say 99.999, as the installed version of exim.
> This will stop cygwin from ever overwriting your installation of exim
> (unless the version ever gets higher than that.. unlikely in our
> lifetimes to be honest)

Are you sure?  I didn't think setup actually compared versions at all.
There's been discussion on cygwin-apps of updating packages to a
"lower" version number that is actually a neweer version, and people
didn't seem to think there would be any problem with that...