Re: VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Oct 17 2005 11:54:34

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:26:58PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 04:15:34PM +0200, Christoph Jeksa wrote:
>>>there is a bug in this version:
>>>
>>>Supposed, you have a file X.sh ( exactly in this spelling ).  If you
>>>enter:
>>>
>>>vim x.sh ( also exactly in this spelling )
>>>
>>>and write it back after any modification, the file will be renamed even
>>>to x.sh.  This behavior is very nasty if such file is used by programs
>>>which are case-sensitive for file names, example: SCM program perforce.
>>
>>This isn't a vim problem.  Windows filename handling is
>>case-insensitive.
>>
>>I suppose that there could be a vim option to deal with this case but
>>that would require modifying vim, i.e., PTC* by the upstream vim
>>developers.
>
>Chris, I suppose there's another bet between you and Corinna floaing
>around in the cygwin-developers land somewhere, but I'll bite.

What's the euro/dollar exchange rate these days?

>No need to patch vim.  This is *exactly* the kind of situation where
>check_case:strict is useful.  With CYGWIN=check_case:strict, vim won't
>even edit the file "x.sh" if the file is actually named "X.sh".
>Incidentally, "check_case:adjust" might also help.

You're right, I didn't consider recommending an option that Corinna and
I consider to be deprecated.  Using this option is *guaranteed* to slow
Cygwin down and, given that both Corinna and I detest the complications
and slow down this option entails, it is entirely possible that it will
be broken from time to time.

At the risk of being self-indulgent and winning some more bets, I also
didn't mention the overkill option of using managed mounts.

cgf