please test: coreutils-5.90-3

>> I've uploaded a test version of coreutils, 5.90-1.  This is a new,
>> unstable upstream release, with a number of changes from 5.3.0.  In
>> particular, quite a few changes have been made upstream in regards
>> to text vs. binary mode, so some feedback on this list would be
>> appreciated before I promote the version to current (5.3.0-9 will
>> remain current at least as long as cygwin-1.5.18-1 stays current).
>> A full list from the NEWS file appears below.  I think 5.90-1 will
>> work with 1.5.18, but my testing to date has only been on cygwin
>> snapshots.  As coreutils provides quite a bit of programs in daily
>> use, I would recommend that you not upgrade to the test version
>> UNLESS you are willing to cope with and report regressions.
>
> My bug in 'mkdir -p' in 5.90-1 proved immensely annoying, crippling
> such things as attempting to build the cygwin dll from CVS.  So I
> have uploaded 5.90-2.  See the earlier announcement,
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00020.html, for the
> NEWS of changes between 5.3.0 and 5.90.
>
> Again, I am posting this as a test release.  This time, the release
> was compiled against a cygwin snapshot, and WILL NOT WORK with
> cygwin 1.5.18 (a number of the utilities depend on getline and
> getdelim, which were not present in 1.5.18).  If you are going to
> test coreutils-5.90-2, you must first download a recent snapshot
> of cygwin1.dll (20051003 has been working fine for me).  If you
> don't know how to do that, then you are safer off sticking with
> the default coreutils-5.3.0-9.  I would appreciate any feedback, so
> that when cygwin-1.5.19 is released, I can make this the current
> version of coreutils.

Upload number 3.  Again, this release WILL NOT WORK with cygwin 1.5.18;
you must have a snapshot to use coreutils-5.90-3.  This release backports
a patch from CVS that resolves the remaining issues with 'mkdir -p' in the
previous release.  I've also added a new --append-exe option to ls(1) (and
dir, vdir) and stat(1); if a command-line argument does not have .exe, but
the file on the system does, then using this option will make the listing
show the .exe.  I found this addition to my ~/.bashrc useful to play with
the new options (the spacing is chosen so that bash doesn't treat the next
word on the command line as an alias):

ls --append-exe -d . >/dev/null 2>&1 && append_exe=' --append-exe'
alias ls="ls {your favorite options here}$append_exe"
alias stat="stat$append_exe"
unset append_exe

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!