cant set baud rate with stty

Cygwin on WinXP

I am trying to redirect the IO from a terminal app to a serial port.
$terminal_app > /dev/com5
Works but uses the wrong baud rate.

$stty /dev/com5 115200
Does not change the baud: 'unable to perform all requested operations'.
I have tried many variations on this syntax.
$stty does not even show the usb adaptor I am using on com5, but it does not let me change the baud rate on the ports that it does see.

Should stty let me change the baud in the shell?

Where is the default baud rate I am getting established, in windows, in cygwin, or in my usb adaptor driver?

thanks