Re: Using cygwin with W2K in VMWare on Debian 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp?

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:16 -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
Sounds like a reinstallation of "binutils", at least, is in order.  While
you're at it, reinstall gcc bits too.
A full reinstallation of Cygwin did not help.

I wonder if there is actually anyone who is running W2K/Cygwin in VMWare
on Linux?

Actually, yes, there is: me :)

My config is Win2k SP2 running as a guest in VMware 5.0 workstation with
Linux Slackware 10.0 (with 2.6.12 kernel) as the host.  I'm running this
config at home and at work.

I've not seen your specific problem before, but I think I've seen
something like it.  It's unlikely that it's because of vmware, unless you
have host' disk corruption.  I remember one time I ran out of physical
disk space, so when the vm tried to expand the virtual disk, it failed,
and Win2k behaved very badly as a result.  Even after I'd freed space to
allow for the vdisk to expand, NT was unstable thereafter.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.