Re: setup.exe 2.510.2.2, 2.427 and 2.457 consistently failing, on win2000, sp4

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 08:43:06PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > um.  very confused.  setup.exe in't setting anything up.
> > >
> > > i get a modal dialog at the end of the process saying
> > > "set_cygdrive_flags" - the operation completed successfully.
> > >
> > > i check c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log and it is full of
> > > io_stream_cygfile: fopen failed 2 No such file or directory,
> >
> > What about c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log.full?  It should have more
> > information (in particular, the io_stream_cygfile messages should be
> > preceded by the names of the files they correspond to).
>
>  that's the strange thing: no such filenames are listed.
>
>  rather than irritate the crap out of everybody by dropping a 410k file
>  into thousands of people's mailboxes, i've placed the log at:
>
>  	http://hands.com/~lkcl/cygwin/setup.log.full

You could've gzipped it down to about 30k, but this is good too, thanks.
FWIW, it's indeed a setup.log.full.

There are a few weird parts in this log.  Here's one:

2005/09/27 12:27:46 Selected local directory: C:\
2005/09/27 12:27:52 Selected local directory: C:\cygfiles

For some reason, it remembered C:\ as your local package directory.  Did
c:\http%2f%2fgobbledegook.mirrors.kernel.org%2gobbledegookcygwin get
created, by any chance?

The other weird part is that it doesn't show *any* packages selected to
download.  Did you switch to Partial view to verify that you're actually
going to upgrade any packages?  Can you please post the *exact* list of
steps you took, from the moment you started setup to the moment it ended,
copying and pasting any message boxes you get on the way?  It didn't even
show you the "Installation complete" message box, looks like...

> > Please try an HTTP mirror.
>
>  the failures i am seeing now are that nothing is even downloaded - at
>  all.

Did you try to run setup in other modes (e.g., "Download only")?

>  the subdirectory,
>  c:\cygfiles\http%2f%2fgobbledegook.mirrors.kernel.org%2gobbledegookcygwin,
>  has however been created.

Heh, I misread this at first.  Looks like setup is crashing before it ever
gets to the package download phase...  You might try some other mirrors
(mirrors.kernel.org is a good one, and so is mirror.mcs.anl.gov).

If worse comes to worst, I may post a debug version of setup I compiled
and ask you to try it out.  It might give us some clue on what is
happening on your machine.

HTH,
	Igor
--