Re: Funny hang with snapshop 20050920

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 07:05:00AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

>According to Christopher Faylor on 9/23/2005 6:11 PM:
>>
>> There is a new snapshot up there now.  I think I've given up on the
>> technique that I was trying to use to fix the Windows 98 bug.  I've
>> yanked out a lot of the code and simplified things but I hope I haven't
>> caused the bug to reemerge.
>>
>> Could you try the 2005-09-23 snapshot?  Same rules.  I'd still like to
>> know if sending a CONT to the hung process fixes it as well as ls
>> /proc/nnn/fd and I'd still like to see the strace output if the process
>> hangs again.
>>
>> Also could anyone who could duplicate the Windows 98 error popup dialog
>> confirm or deny if it is still fixed?
>
>I ran 20050923 on my Win98 box most of the weekend.  The original report
>of failures to close the console after using ssh still remain fixed; I was
>no longer getting popup boxes and was able to close the console.  However,
>when running process-intensive tasks (such as building coreutils CVS), I
>got quite a few blue screens of death, which is new (and worse than a
>popup box).  I haven't had a chance to try the 20050925 snapshot to see if
>it improves matters.  I haven't downloaded the snapshot cygwin-inst
>recently, so I'm not sure if the recent strace improvements help,

"strace improvement"?  The only strace-related thing I've done recently is
add some additional info to a debug message.  I doubt that most people would
notice the change.

Corinna reports that 20050925 works better than 20050923 on Windows 98 so
I'm hopeful that I've squashed this bug without resorting to the overly
enthusiastic technique which resulted in various hangs for the last week+.

cgf