Re: cygwin on Vista 64-bit

On Sep 20 05:33, Tim Prince wrote:
> Lapo Luchini wrote:
>
> >Tim Prince wrote:
> >
> >>I am aware of that policy, that no fix will be made to support such
> >>software.  Just thought there might be a work-around.  If not, I will
> >>consider Vista broken.
> >

> >FWIW, it seems to run fine on WinXP x64.
> >(in fact, I used it for a month now)
> >
> Yes, considering that modification of the cygwin shortcut is no longer
> required for the released OS, the problem with Vista was an unpleasant
> surprise.  I'm finding that certain applications require unannounced
> patches to run on the released X64 OS.  Others run fine on Vista if you
> can figure out how to set them up.  Meanwhile, major retailers act like
> it's a secret their machines run 64-bit OS, offering no options but
> 32-bit XP home and Pro.

The problem isn't about being 64 or 32 bit in the first place, the
problem is Vista/Longhorn itself.  This is a new, unreleased OS which
has the NT version number 6.0.  Cygwin doesn't know about this OS,
so it falls back to assume that this OS doesn't have all the features
it actually has.  It's more treated like a 9x version if you want to
say so for now, which leads to all sorts of trouble behind the scenes.

Having said that, it's really somewhat early to expect Cygwin to run
on Longhorn for now.  I know that it basically works in Beta 1, but
it doesn't make much sense to put a lot of work into that at this early
stage.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.