Re: Arrow keys when using ssh to connect remotely to solaris box

Mikael wrote:

> Hello, I'm using ssh inside an rxvt terminal (?) to connect remotely to a
> Sun server running Solaris. It connects without any problems and I can login
> to the Oracle database the server is running. However, the arrow keys
> doesn't work correctly. When I hit left-arrow to edit what I am typing in
> sqlplus (oracles command line client) the input cursor position doesn't move
> instead ^[[D is displayed. Neither of the arrows keys work. I guess the
> problem is that the remote shell is expecting keys in one format and I am
> sending it in another, slightly different format, so it doesn't work for
> some keys. This has made working remotely with the oracle database a chore
> at best and I was wondering how I can remedy the situation?

In general this is a problem with the application on the remote end and
has nothing to do with rxvt.  The way it works is that the TERM
environment variable should be set to indicate what terminal is in use.
In your case it should probably be "rxvt".  The application then should
look at this variable and then use the terminfo database to determine
what character sequences to expect based on the terminal.

So, you should check to see what TERM is set to after connecting to the
remote system.  It may also be that the terminfo database on the remote
system does not contain an entry for "rxvt", so you might have to try
setting it to "xterm" or even "vt102" which are more common names for
terminals with very similar key mappings.

Brian