Re: Bug found, new snapshot generated so still - testers needed prior to 1.5.19 release

According to Christopher Faylor on 9/13/2005 4:14 PM:
>>On Win98, the snapshot works fine until something using recent openssh is
>>executed (see also http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-07/msg01397.html).
>>In any console where a program that has used ssh exits, the act of
>>exiting ssh causes the console to refuse to disappear, and the machine to
>>slow down drastically.  Trying to run 'strace -o strace.txt cvs up'
>>reliably produces a couple of windows popup boxes, stating that the
>>application has performed an illegal operation.
>>
> But, then, on 98 you undoubtedly have the same problems with 1.5.18
> which would make this a non-regression.

True, 1.5.18 had the same problem, but 1.5.17 did not.  So it just depends
on how far back you were looking before calling it a regression :)

> Corinna was able to duplicate this so I've checked in a rather invasive
> fix.  I may just back it out if it causes too many other problems.

I've verified on my Win98 box that I can now use ssh without tying up the
console forever or slowing the machine.  THANKS!  However, 'strace cvs up'
still causes windows popup boxes, but now it is only 3 boxes instead of
four.  Two of the popup boxes reported invalid page fault at cygwin1.dll
at 015f:610f30d3, which maps to:

(gdb) file cygwin1.dll
Reading symbols from /bin/cygwin1.dll...Reading symbols from
/bin/cygwin1.dbg...
done.
done.
(gdb) l *0x610f30d3
0x610f30d3 is at
/netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20050913-1/winsup/cygserver/client.cc:464.

   461    /* Don't retry every request if the server's not there */
   462    if (cygserver_running == CYGSERVER_UNAVAIL)
   463      {
   464        syscall_printf ("cygserver un-available");
   465        error_code (ENOSYS);
   466        return -1;
   467      }

So somehow syscall_printf (which is only active during strace) is
faulting, explaining why the strace fails when cvs works just fine by itself.

The third popup box is from ssh in kernel32.dll at 015f:bff87eb5, but good
luck reverse engineering who passed the bad pointer to a Win98 syscall.

> Potential types of problems in today's snapshot would be processes which
> seem to exit but don't really or processes which hang when they are
> supposed to be exiting.  You may need to do a "ps -W" to see if
> processes are still hanging around.

So far, ps -W hasn't shown any rogue cygwin processes leftover on Win98.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net