From: ericblake@comcast.net (Eric Blake)
To: Matthew Movafaghi <mattmova@hotmail.com>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Simple find command does not work for * .html
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:59:58 +0000

> For some reason the following find command will not complete for *.html.
>
> It says: find: paths must precede expression....

User error.  Remember that the shell does filename globbing before
find ever sees its input (unless you have done set -f in a POSIX shell).
If the current directory contains .html files, then you really are
causing a syntax error.

> `find d:\ -type f -perm -u+w -name *.properties`

Try 'echo find d:\ -type f -perm -u+w -name *.html' to see what you
were really doing, then try
'find d:\ -type f -perm -u+w -name \*.html'
to fix it.  And while you are at it, since this is cygwin, try
'find /cygdrive/d -type f -perm -u+w -name \*.html'
to get rid of that pesky backslash (are you in a cmd.com shell,
explaining why you didn't quote it properly?) and behave more
unixy.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin findutils maintainer