Re: 1.5.18: Problem launching URLs from Pine

Igor,

> I haven't had a chance to debug this properly, but
from the first
> glance at the code, it's actually weirder than that.
The "U" in the
> debug output means that pine tries to use the user's
preferred shell.
> If SHELL is undefined, pine tries to use /bin/csh
(yes, "csh" --
> don't ask me why). In system mode, it uses /bin/sh,
like all normal
> apps.
>
> Anthony, do you have the tcsh package installed? If
not, that may be
> your problem. Just for kicks, if you don't have a
/bin/csh, try "ln
> /bin/sh /bin/csh" (yes, I know it won't work with
csh syntax), and
> see if that makes pine work for you.
>
> Another thing to try is to export SHELL from bash.
Just say "export
> SHELL" with the current value (i.e., /bin/bash).

Yup, both of those solutions work, though I'm sticking
with exporting
SHELL for portability. I don't have tcsh installed.

> As for fixing this, there are two options -- one is
to send a patch
> upstream (who uses /bin/csh nowadays anyway?), and
another is to make
>  "pine" depend on "tcsh".

Out of interest, is it correct behaviour for Bash to
return a value for
SHELL even though it hasn't been explicitly set?
Presumably this is
handled by Bash itself in such a way that getenv
doesn't see it; is that
in itself a bug?

Ant.