Re: 1.5.18: Problem launching URLs from Pine

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Antony Baxter wrote:
>

>> anything to work. At the moment I've set
>>
>>   url-viewers = /home/ant/bin/viewUrl
>>
>> in my .pinerc where viewUrl is a 1-line script as
>> follows:
>>
>>   echo $1 >> /tmp/viewUrl.log
>>
>> When run from the command line this (obviously)
works
>> fine. However,

Hi there,

> If it's a script file it probably needs a shebag as
the first line
> (#!/bin/sh).  Also, make sure it has execute
permissions (chmod 755).

> It depends on how pine tries to execute it though.
If it uses system()
> then the shebang is not necessary, otherwise it
probably is.

Spent some time on this last night and have now got to
the bottom of it.
It seems that, in Bash, if I don't explicitly set my
SHELL environment
variable,

% echo $SHELL

returns /bin/bash, but stdlib's getenv("SHELL")
returns null. Pine uses
getenv("SHELL") to figure out how to execute external
apps.

Explicitly setting SHELL to /bin/bash allows Pine to
work.

Hope someone else finds this useful!

Ant.