Cygwin font problems: freetype 2.1?

Having asked this question with no reply on comp.lang.python and the image-sig list I now turn to the Cygwin community. I'd really appreciate Cc's to my email address as I am not a subscriber to cygwin@cygwin.com.

Is anyone aware of (a fix for) problems I'm having getting the Python Imaging Library (PIL) 1.1.5 to create bitmaps using TrueType and openType fonts from the /c/WINDOWS/Fonts directory? When I create an image using ImageFont.load() on the standard PIL font files everything seems fine, but when I use ImageFont.truetype(<font-file>, <size>) no text is drawn.

setup.py reports from debug print statements that it's finding freetype21 when I build PIL from source under Cygwin.

The same code (using Fredrik Lundh's pre-built binary) on Windows runs
correctly and produces correct images from Windows fonts.

Cygwin runs Python 2.4.1, Windows runs 2.4. Any comments that shed light on this mystery will be gratefully received.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/