running applications build under Cygwin

Hi,

I'm quite new to Cygwin and there are some things I don't really understand. I've build a few applications under Cygwin. I've build Xapian and Omega. Xapian is a search system and Omega is a front-end for Xapian. (see www.xapian.org if you're interested)

These applications are designed for a unix environment but can also be build under Windows using Cygwin. I succeeded in building the applications but I can't run one of the executables. There is a file Omega.exe that is created when building Omega. This file is a cgi search engine that can be called from within a website to request search results that are are subtracted from a Xapian database.

However when I call Omega.exe from my browser window I get the following error:
This program cannot be run in DOS mode

Along with that all of the code of the executable is displayed in my browser window.
I installed my webserver and Mysql server under Windows (not under Cygwin). Do I have to build these under Cygwin too (and run my webserver from within Cygwin) before I can use any programs build under Cygwin from within my webserver environment?

I figured that would not be the case because I'm able to run some of the other executables (not cgi but other apps) and they work perfectly. So my question is can I run every program that is build under Cygwin straight under Windows (loose from the Cygwin environment) or am I missing something here???

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Floris