Re: Timestamps

On Aug 27 02:28, Wes S wrote:
> Replying to my own email for archives.
>
> I didn't have syslogd running.  Install script  /bin/syslogd-config
> I initially installed sshd with:
> cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D -e'
> changed to cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D'
> Now I'm happier.
>
> Wes
>
> On 26 Aug 2005 at 10:05, Wes S wrote:
>
> > I'm using exim and sshd which is working wonderfully on my w2k box.
> >
> > My cygwin programs are recent as of the last 7 days if that matters.
> >
> > What I can't figure out is how to get time/date stamps on the log
> > files such as sshd.log and exim_main.log.  I got entries but when
> > they were made, who knows.

For the records, if syslogd is not running, the syslog output goes to
the Windows event log, which also maintains timestamps.

The service log files created in /var/log only contain the stdout and
stderr output of the services.

Switching on syslogd will not redirect stdout/stderr output to syslogd,
but only the syslog output.

But usually this doesn't matter since "real" services are logging the
important stuff to the syslog anyway and stdout/stderr is only used
for debugging output.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.