Emacs from cygwin in X mode with no X running

My background is unix/linux so when I find myself on MS OS of one
vintage or another I sorely need the cygwin tools.

However, one thing I've not found a way to get smoothed out is how to
run emacs.

I want to run emacs in gui mode but without starting an X session.
That is, similar to what is possible with ntemacs.

Now I could just use ntemacs but then one runs into path problems
since that tool doesn't know about `cygdrive', and I see no handy way
to make that work with both cygwin setup and win native stuff.

Using the cygwin installed emacs I get the -nw effect as if emacs were
running in a linux console, unless I start an X session and run emacs
from there.

Is there a handy way (on winxp) to use emacs as if in X but without
installing or using the X side of cygwin?