Re: Cygwin UTF-8

John Morrison wrote:

I'm trying to get Cygwin to run as utf-8 and failing.

Cygwin itself doesn't care what character set you are using.

The only thing I can think of where you might think Cygwin would have some effect here is printing UTF-8 to the console and expecting it to use the right characters. This will not happen, because the Windows console does not use UTF-8. By default, it only deals with 8-bit characters in your local code page. There's a way to set the console to accept UCS-2 encoded characters.

If this is your problem, you should be using something like iconv() to allow your program to run on 8-bit systems, UTF-8 systems, and UCS-2 systems transparently.