Re: Updating Cygwin without X

On 8/21/05, Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Dai Conrad wrote:
>
> > Whenever I go to update my installation of Cygwin, setup prompts me to
> > install all X-related things, including fontconfig, freeglut,
> > freetype, libfontconfig, libfreetype, X-startup-scripts, xorg-X11-*,
> > and xterm.  I'm not interested in installing these, and so every time
> > I run setup I have to manually go through and deselect them all just
> > to update gawk or somesuch.  Obviously, at some point I installed
> > something (probably just a library that I thought I'd need someday but
> > have never used) which Cygwin thinks requires X.
>
> Yes, obviously.  However, since you haven't told us what you've installed
> (by following the directions at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and
> attaching the output of "cygcheck -svr" on your system), we cannot tell
> you what it is.

Sorry about not including the -svr output.  Your tips did help me
resolve the problem, though.  The culprits turned out to be lilypond
and jasper.

I had used lilypond ages ago under linux, and installed it hoping to
get back into it, but never found time.  I thought that it ran
"headless", transforming text files into sheet music files, without
any graphical display, and didn't realize that it requires pango,
pango-runtime, libXft2, xorg-X11-bin-dlls, etc.  Similarly, I thought
jasper was like other graphics libs, and didn't realize it would
require freeglut, xorg-X11-bin-dlls, etc.

It was a bit tricky uninstalling these things.  For instance, with
libXft, libXft1, and libXft2 all installed, any one of them you click
on to set it to "Uninstall" sets the other two to "Keep".  I
ultimately had to run setup ten or twelve times to uninstall
everything because of all the items that were "sticky" like that.  If
there isn't a way to make it less aggressive in forcing the selection
of dependent items, it might be a good addition.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I never would have figured it out
otherwise.  I love cygwin, and as an old unix weenie could not survive
Windows without it.

All the best,
Dave