Re: Proposed FAQ in DocBook

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > All done! Everyone update their Cygwin FAQ bookmarks with new,
> > > somewhat meaningful ones!
> >
> > Heh, this is the first time I accessed the FAQ after the switch, and
> > the direct question links don't work. :-( I think the presence of the
> > id= attribute and the name= attribute *in different <a> tags* confuses
> > the older Netscape that I use.  I just checked, and combining them
> > into one tag fixes the problem.  Is there a way to convince DocBook to
> > do that?
>
> What version of Netscape, so I can attempt to reproduce?

4.72 (don't laugh, I still use it occasionally).

> Also, do both the one- and multi-file versions fail for you?

Both.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "id=" maybe it's stuff like this:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant (for some reason, I misread the second
name= attribute as an id= attribute, sorry).  FWIW, changing the above to

<a name="faq.what.where" id="id4678694"></a>

makes the named link work in my version of Netscape, while not breaking it
for either IE or FireFox.

Switching the anchors around also makes the named links work (at the
expense of the id ones, but who uses those?):

As I understand it, DocBook is an XSLT stylesheet, right?  Do you know
off-hand how to convince it to do either of the above two changes?  If
not, I'll take a look and try to submit a patch...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu