Re: Permissions on .ssh/id_rsa

On Aug 18 13:31, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >>IMHO then that problem should be corrected.
> >
> >That's a good idea. I'm sure the Samba team will happily consider patches.
>
> Ah, I see. I was confused. I thought that by SMB server what was meant
> was Microsoft's own SMB based service - not the OpenSource Samba Server
> running on Linux. Still I believe that defaults should be set for common
> situations. Is it more common that a Cygwin user on a Windows box is
> dealing with SMB mounts from a Windows Server or a Linux Server using Samba.
>
> In any event I do indeed use a Linux machine at home and do use Samba to
> share things. I also use smbntsec. I haven't seen any problems but since
> I have Linux I tend to just ssh there and work with the command line
> there directly. Can you describe or point to these problems in Samba and
> how they manifest themselves?

Well, it's a long story which I surely already told once and which should
be in the archives.  Briefly, the POSIX permission bits on the Linux
filesystem are not correctly reflected in the ACL send to the Windows
machine.  It's especially not possible to change the permission bits on
the Linux filesystem by manipulating the ACL on the Windows side, which
is what ntsec is all about.  For the curious, reading `man smb.conf is
very enlightening, but also very frustrating from the ntsec perspective.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.