Unexpected File Name Too Long Error With #includes

All,

This issue involves a "File name too long" error being generated by the C preprocessor that came along with 1.5.18-1. The compiler reports version 3.4.4, the distro file says 3.4.4-1.

I have a header file whose total path length is 190 characters counting drive letters (yeah, I know it's ridiculously long, and I can get around this problem by chopping some stuff out, but at the moment I'm wondering what I'm missing for future reference).

I can #include this header file directly in a .c file with no problem:

#include "C:/d1/d2/d3/d4/...lots more.../blah.h"

The problem occurs if I provide a part of this path via a -I option, and put the remainder inside quotes in the #include. So say I do this:

gcc -E -I C:/d1/d2/d3/d4 blah.c

...with the source file looking notionally like this:

#include "...lots more.../blah.h"

By experimentation (with this particular file I'm having problems with, so this isn't a general observation) when the total length of the stuff inside the quotes in the #include statement reaches 82 characters in length I get a "File name too long" error from the preprocessor. Yet as noted earlier I can include the entire path inline without a complaint.

I've been using Cygwin for a while now and can't recall ever having a path length problem unless the length exceeded the total path limit at the Windows level (250, or 253, or 255, or whatever it is). So... this makes me wonder if perhaps some feature has been introduced that I'm missing, and/or there's some magic option I need to be using.

Has anybody else encountered this behavior?

Sorry if this is a well-known issue. I've been poking around a bit and haven't seen anything relevant (yet). I'm currently digging in the gcc-core source, but thought I'd ping the group in the meantime.

TIA,

Rob Hatcherson
ZedaSoft, Inc.