Re: May g++ output windows-style paths instead of cygwin-style one?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angel Tsankov" <fn42551@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: May g++ output windows-style paths instead of cygwin-style one?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Dessent" <brian@dessent.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:00 PM

Angel Tsankov wrote:

Is there any way I can force the cygwin build of g++ to output folders
using windows style (e.g. c:\folder\file) instead of cygwin style
(/cygdrive/c/folder/file) when writing dependency files (-MM option)?

No, there's no way to do that. You could probably come up with a perl
command that would filter the files through cygpath to convert the
paths, though.

I have this problem, 'cause I use a windows build of make 3.81beta3
and it does not recognize cygwin style paths.
The latest cygwin build of make is 3.80, which has some bugs, and I
cannot use it.

I think it would be more productive for you to get Cygwin make working
than to try to jerry-rig a windows make into a posix environment. If
you are running into a specific bug in the current packaged version that
is fixed upstream, then you should document it here and the Cygwin
package maintainer might release an updated package.

Well, how do I document the bug?

OK, here's something like a test case. Since a couple of my previous attempts to post a reply with a zip file attachment were unsuccessful, I've put the test case here:
http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~angel/test_case_make_3.80.zip

The result I get when running (the cygwin version of) make on my system is:
Source/File1.h Source/File2.h h

And the expected result is:
Source/File1.h Source/File2.h

Result of running 'make --version':
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

It is a very strange problem. A couple of weeks ago I started a thread about the exact same problem on the make-w32 mailing list, assuming it had something to do with long file names. The thread is located here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2005-07/msg00011.html

As one can see, this problem has been fixed. Unfortunately, no newer version of make has been release so far, except for betas, the latest one being is 3.81beta3. The source code of the windows version of 3.81beta3 is available at
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/

HTH
Angel Tsankov
fn42551@fmi.uni-sofia.bg