RE: Another (differently) broken man on CygWin 1.5.8

> Herb Martin wrote:
>
> > Arggh!  That's 90% of the answer -- the one that was
> running was from
> > my NT native "unix" tools because the "real" one is missing.
>
> For future reference, no package that you install with
> setup.exe should ever put anything under /usr/local.  If you
> find a configuration file there or a program that wants to
> store things there, it's probably a non-official package or a
> foreign package.

I learned two other things also:

	cygcheck can show a version when the program is not
		even there (either not installed or missing)

	cygwin (like Linux apparently) keeps a database of
		programs and so deleting an incorrect program
		on the path may leave the OS complaining about
		the missing item rather than using the now
		available correct item EVEN THOUGH the correct
		program is earlier in the path.

		Although the book I have (on Bash/Zsh) suggested
		running "hash -t" to correct this, hash doesn't
		seem to have a "-t" switch or fix the problem.

--
Herb Martin